Sunday, November 13, 2011

Trouble with Jealousy and Forgetfulness

Mama was in the church nursery this morning.  Usually Munch does great in there--I drop her off, she smiles at whoever is greeting the babies, gets distracted by a toy, and is good from that moment on until I or Daddy come back for her.  She never cries when she's dropped off, and rarely cries during nursery time--everyone is always so impressed with what a good baby she is.  But.  MAMA was in the church nursery this morning.  It's not the first time, but it's been about a month, and there were some definite changes in her behavior.  This child knows who her Mama is...and she also knows that the other kids don't have any claim on her Mama.  So her Mama had better not play with or--heaven forbid--actually HOLD one of them, not ever, not at all!  You can see where this is going, right?  Literally every time this morning that I interacted for more than a moment or two with another child, Munch did one of two things:  She crawled over and pulled up on my legs so that I *had* to take care of her, or she sat where she was (usually because someone else was holding her) and wailed pitiously.  It was rather entertaining, but not really that helpful, since I was the greeter this morning, and couldn't focus on that job...  Siblings, whenever they start arriving, should make things interesting...

In other news, Mama and Daddy did an oops today.  We were a bit rushed when we got home from church, because Daddy had plans to go up to visit his cousins and watch football:  An hour drive, and the game was starting in about half that.  So we got things settled at home as quickly as possible, I started getting lunch for the Munch, and off Daddy went.  Shortly after that, I went looking for Tigger; naptime comes right after lunch time, so I was getting everything prepped.  But Tigger wasn't in the diaper bag.  Instinctively, I knew what had happened.  We'd brought Tigger to church with us, as we usually do, and I'd given him to the Munch to hold for the drive home afterward.  So I called Daddy, and sure enough, there was poor Tigger, laying in the backseat of the car, right where he'd probably been dropped.  In our hurry, we'd grabbed baby and bag and forgotten about him.  The situation looked kinda grim.  Munch is very accustomed to having her Tigger at bedtimes...she snuggles with him so sweetly and goes to sleep very quickly and soundly.  But Daddy was already at least 15-20 minutes out on his trip.  It was too late to turn back, so I bit the inevitable bullet, and put Munch to bed today without Tigger...and I'll have to do the same this evening, as Daddy won't get back home until after bedtime tonight.  She has a few other stuffed toys that she likes, so I surrounded her with those and hoped for the best.  A minute or two later, she was fussing a little and calling out 'tiga, tiga,' and 'mama, mama', and naturally the guilt crept into my brain.  Another minute or two after that though, I started hearing weird clicking noises over the monitor.  I let it be for a little bit, then went in to check.  Munch was standing there in her crib, in the dark, rattling the drop-side railing.  She'd also turned off her music and thrown a couple of the toys out onto the floor (that's a first for that, incidentally!) in the process.  I laid her back down, gave the toys back, turned the music back on, and thankfully, she was apparently tired enough that she accepted this and went to sleep...Once again, I am so very, very grateful to have such an easy baby.  I hope she'll be that tired at bedtime tonight!

No comments: