I've been working for the past month or so to get the Munch to pull up onto stuff. At 13 months today, she should have already been trying some of this herself months ago, and she simply wasn't. She can't even get from a prone to a sitting up position, although she can do the reverse easily. Essentially, she was content to just army-crawl around, building the callouses on her elbows, and keeping a very low-to-the-ground profile, so to speak. I blame it on her being in the 95th percentile for both weight and height. She's a big girl!
We'd gotten to the point where, if I put my hands down in front of her while she was sitting or on her tummy, she would grab them both quickly and pull herself up to a standing position. However, she flatly refused to be encouraged to do this with anything else--She wouldn't even let Daddy help her up very often. I've kept trying, but every time I encourage her to grab onto something that's not me to help her get up, she gets ticked. REALLY ticked. But she loves to stand. Once she's up, she's very happy, cruising around from toy chest to big toy to my hands to the couch to whatever. It's just that awful transition.
Yesterday, rather suddenly, this apparently changed. I was sitting at my computer, and she was happily fiddling around with some toys on the floor. When I glanced over to check on her, I saw that she had both her hands on the ledge of one of her tables, and was attempting to pull up! WHAT?! She'd made absolutely no indication that this was something she was working toward, even though I know eventually we all get there. So I quickly scooted myself over to sit beside her and keep her from tumbling and hurting herself, and she successfully pulled up almost entirely on her own. Such a nice surprise. :)
Today, she took a giant leap forward, so to speak, and pulled up twice in the space of 20 minutes with no help whatsoever, keeping her hold and balance (albeit a sketchy balance) on her own as she did so. She's definitely on her way, and the world just got that much bigger for her.
The world is also becoming a much more active place for me and the Munch...Morning nap times are apparently a thing of the past, also as of yesterday. I guess her thought-process is: If I'm big enough and strong enough to pull myself up, then I'm old enough to not need that silly morning nap anymore. Thursday she wailed all through the half hour or so that I spent trying to get her to go to sleep (and she's usually a very good sleeper), and Friday, though she did sleep, her afternoon nap was then severely truncated. Ouch, says this Mama. But I knew it had to happen sometime. Now I have to figure out what to do with my suddenly much longer mornings...Thank goodness the weather has been so beautiful lately!
No comments:
Post a Comment