Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What's a Yo-Yo?

The Munch has gotten into the habit lately of asking what we consider to be rather silly, and sometimes downright annoying questions.  Questions that she already knows the answer to;  Questions that really only serve the purpose of 'invading the quiet' with her voice, which is already a pretty busy little voice to begin with.  ;)  She'll ask things like, "What's a snack?", "What's a TV?", or "Why are you doing ___?" after we just finished preemptively telling her exactly why only 2 seconds ago, and so on.

Sometimes I tell her to stop, or that she knows the answer, or that she's not listening to what I'm saying, and she needs to listen so she can understand like she wants to.  Sometimes I ask her "What do *you* think it is?", knowing full well that she'll gleefully tell me exactly what it is.  And sometimes I play along and answer.  Today's play-along got a funny surprise.  Our conversation went something like this:

Munch:  What's a yo-yo?

I think: She's seen yo-yos, she's played with yo-yos, she *knows* what it is...But ok, we aren't talking about anything else at the moment.

I say: A yo-yo is a toy that has a string attached, and you can play with it by making it go up and down.

Munch: Ohhh.  Well, a yo-yo is also a song!

I think:  Huh?  Ok, must be some song she's learned recently, maybe at a friend's house like she's done before...

I say: A song?  Do you know a yo-yo song?

Munch: Yeah, it's a song they sing on the mountains.

In the words of Despicable Me:  Liiiiiight-Bulb.

I say: You mean a yodel?

Yup, she'd taken 'yodel' and turned it into 'yo-yo'.  Easy enough to do. :)  I have yet to figure out where or when she heard about yodeling...but for the record, further conversation proved that she did in fact already know what it was when she asked me.  She just didn't have the right word.  And no, I did *not* give her a yodel demonstration.  You think I want that sort of noise being repeated in this house??? ;)

No comments: