Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Baby So Far

So we've had about 2 and a half weeks of baby precious-ness now, and we've learned a few things about her.  Namely, while there are similarities between the 2 girls, Mini is most certainly NOT her sister.  Some examples:

She's not as desperate for snuggles:

We only co-slept on the Mini's very first night, when we were still at the hospital.  The Munch was not ok with sleeping by herself until she was at least a couple weeks old, but the Mini has snoozed happily in the pack and play each night since arriving home.

I find I'm able to use the bouncy seat much more and much earlier with the Mini.  The Munch flatly refused it after only a few minutes when she was this age...and she never really enjoyed it all that much even when she was older, although she was more content to sit in it then.  The Mini spends all of her naptimes in that bouncer, happily snuggled up by herself with a blanket.

On the second use of my Moby Wrap (and since then too), the Mini expressed a clear displeasure for it...Maybe I'd made it a tad too tight, or maybe she just didn't WANT to be snuggled?  She just doesn't seem to enjoy the warmth and closeness it allows like her sister did.  The Munch LIVED in that thing for 3 months.  I would not have survived her snuggle-needs without it.

She's a serious nurser:

The Mini has been able to get her food from day one, which was a big difference from my nursing experience with the Munch.  She barely lost any weight after birth, and was back up to her birthweight by day 5.  The Munch, in contrast, lost almost too much--she was right on that 10% cut-off where doctors get very concerned--and she didn't regain it again until after I'd gotten a doula to help me figure out our nursing problems...well past her 2nd week of life.  The Mini is now the same weight the Munch was at this time of her life, despite the Munch having started out almost a pound larger.

She grunts and 'talks' like crazy while she eats...I don't remember if the Munch did that or not...but this one does it so much, it's hard not to notice!

My only complaint is that she cluster-feeds at the most inconvenient times.  I've spent full, several-hour-long evenings just sitting in a chair, switching the Mini back and forth between sides as she eats and eats and eats...and tugs when she doesn't get enough, which usually happens by the 4th or 5th time on a side...And then come night time, when my milk is full again, she just sleeps....But I guess I can be grateful she's not cluster-feeding at night!

She's a little frowner:

The first baby picture I have of myself, I'm glowering at the camera, apparently willing it to get out of my face.  To out-do this glower of mine seems to be the Mini's early mission in life, and she is clearly succeeding.  The Munch's early pictures are almost entirely frown-free, even the sleeping ones.  But the Mini...I'm hard-pressed to get a non-frowny face.  And yet, it's stinkin' adorable.  Case in point:

"No, no, no! Not gonna do it!"

Incidentally...the Munch very much has her Daddy's eyebrows, and the Mini has mine.  May have something to do with this...My eyebrows are good for frowning...?  And in case you were curious...Here's me:

"Yo.  Back off."

Those would be the main observations I've had so far.  She hasn't been as incensed against the carseat as the Munch was...yet...But she seems just as curious about the world as her sister was (and still is).  However, she's showing this with a much more pronounced desire to move her head around and push up, which tells me she may start moving around sooner than her sister did.  We haven't done 'official' tummy time yet, but the Mini's already pushing off my shoulder and lifting her head to look around from there, and I don't think the Munch did very much of that at all.  She would just cry until she was moved into a position where she could see better...Little Lazy Pants.  :)

Some stuff we've done in the past couple weeks:

This actually happened the Tuesday before the Mini's birth...but I had to put it up here!  She wrote 'Dad and Mom', words she's learned to read, all by herself.

A couple days after we got home, people from Daddy's company sent us some flowers and a balloon.  The Mini wasn't so impressed, but we were touched, and the Munch was quite enamored of the balloon--it's got a giraffe on it, after all!

This is the outfit that the Munch found at Target before she became a big sister.  She insisted I buy it for the Mini, so how could I resist?  :)  Mini wore this for her first Sunday at church, and since it was cold, I added the tights and booties.

That is a super-comfy little babe.

It's hard to see, but this was Halloween day, and it was SNOWING.  Nothing stuck for more than a couple minutes, though.

My 'Little Pumpkin', as the inscription on the hat reads...though her head's tilted so you can't read it, so just take my word for it.  ;)

A beautiful butterfly.  A shame it was so cold outside; We had to put her big purple winter coat over this...but at least her wings and antennae were still visible while trick or treating.  Thankfully, the snow had stopped while we were out doing that, and it waited to start back up again until we were literally just stepping back into the house.  Perfect timing!

Remember how there were babies galore being born at my church when I had the Munch?  Same story this time around...there are at least 4 other babies within this last month or so alone, if I'm counting right, and several others who are only a couple months older.  We certainly have a way of timing it right!  Here's a little doll who was born 2 weeks late at the end of September, weighing in at close to 10 and a half pounds.  She's now 12 or 13 pounds...almost double the weight of my tiny babe.  These girls are only 3 weeks apart, but what a huge difference in size!!  I also love the unintended symmetry of this picture, with them both raising their outside fists.  Newborns Unite! :)

No comments: