Monday, November 24, 2014

Be Careful What You Wish For?

Today was my third day (second week) back at work since the Mini's arrival, and it started off just as well and nonchalantly as any other day.  Superman, Munch, and I did some schoolwork while the Mini dozed, then we worked on a baking project together.  Our morning passed very quickly.

It started to snow hard (after having rained earlier in the day and preceding night, YUCK), so when we headed out to drop Superman at his afternoon preschool, I of course was extra careful about the roads, etc.  But snow didn't slow us down...just construction, which is ALL over in this neighborhood right now.  Seriously, I thought we at least had TWO seasons:  Construction and Winter...but now it seems Construction is a year-long thing, sheesh!  But we made it to his school, dropped him off, and headed home.  I got both girls to sleep (yes, the Munch took an actual nap today), then settled in for a very welcome little break for myself.

Perhaps 15 minutes later, my phone started ringing with text messages.  I couldn't answer it right off because (having just gotten my new breast pump), I was a little tied down at that precise moment, and of course I'd forgotten to bring the phone by me before I'd sat down...And it just kept making noise after noise after noise.  I figured it was a friend with much to say, as often happens, so I wasn't too concerned about it being anything super-urgent;  I would look at it as soon as I was done, and a few minutes later, I did.  And in that moment I learned that my day had just gone from perfectly normal and calm to Very Much Not Normal.  Superman's big brother had blacked out and fallen during class, and someone needed to get him from school asap; then further down the line of texts, I learned that the school had decided to call 911 to have him transported to a hospital.  EEP!

Now, I titled this post the way I did because of multiple (I've lost count how many times, actually) conversations I've had with Brother Bear about fainting or blacking out.  I'm not entirely sure why, but he's been immensely curious about it--almost obsessively so sometimes:  What it feels like, how it happens, what my own experience with it was way back when...and at some point in each conversation, he always gets to the point where he says he wishes he would faint.  Because it would be so cool or funny or what-have-you, and he's even dramatized it with a great grin on his face! :)

Well, today he got his wish.  And I daresay it was not as glamorous as he expected.  Really, what medical condition--chronic or temporary--actually is...?  Long story short, he's totally fine, for which we are all extremely grateful.  The doctors say he was a bit dehydrated, and he admits he was locking his knees at the time (it happened during choir practice).  He'll still need another doctor check just to be sure, but the diagnosis sounds about right for an otherwise perfectly healthy boy.  But it made for a most eventful afternoon for everyone as we all scrambled to figure out who was going where and doing what and with whom and when.  I'll happily go back to a non-excitement setting now...

No comments: