It's been a year now since I've seen any of my family...and usually I see them twice in a year. I've had quite a few moments of heartache over that these past few weeks, as the reality has sunk in that I don't know when exactly that next trip will be. Sure it'll happen...but when? And how much older will Munch be by then? I think it hit me hardest this last Thursday, when I was addressing cards and mailing them and really realized that I wouldn't be there this year when they're opened. But God knows. And He arranged it so that my brother happened to get onto hotmail while I was on, I saw this, started chatting on im with him, then switched to skype and proceeded to video chat for over an hour. It was so very much needed. I love this city and the life I'm building here. But I also love and miss my family, more so now, I think, that I've got my own little family to share with them. Well, He never said life was going to be easy, did He... :P
For a number of reasons, we also decided a trip down to Cincinnati to be with Daddy's parents for Christmas was not the best plan. I know that caused a fair amount of hurt, and I'm sorry it did...but we didn't make it lightly, and I do believe our staying here was just right for this year. The irony is that, weather-wise, this was probably one of the best years to travel, as we've had virtually NO snow yet at all, and none on the forcasted horizon!
So. We were left with no particular celebrations or things to do for the holiday season, and did a bit of thinking about what TO do. Daddy is not very fond of traditions surrounding most holidays, and Christmas especially--he always feels like they're forced. Despite this, we settled pretty quickly on a few items, so those are what we ended up doing. We agreed on what to get the Munch, and bought it. We agreed to fill each other's stockings with whatever we wanted to, and leave our gifts to each other at that. And, in the spirit of my family's traditions, we decided to hold our own Christmas Breakfast. My grandpa held those every year that I can remember growing up, and when he died, my dad took it over. It's something I've looked forward to every year, and something that Munch's Daddy appreciates very much as well. With Christmas on a Sunday this year, though, we put a little twist into it, and held it Christmas Eve morning instead, with the usual eggs, hash browns, ham, and cookies and other treats that my family does. We ended up with about 25 or so people showing up and sharing love that day, and it was perfect. It reaffirmed to me that I have a home here too, and am loved by and love quite a few wonderful people who are not, technically, family...and yet ARE. In fact, I was having such a lovely time with all of them that the only pictures I remembered to take were before everything started...so here's a few shots of my decorations...but none of my peoples...
Some snowflakes that I am very, very proud of...they were A LOT of work, and I intend to save them for as long as they'll last. I may just borrow a friend's laminating machine... :)
Boba Fett and R2D2
C3PO and Darth Vader
Yoda and a Storm Trooper
My tree, with its new tree skirt that I have forbidden to the cats...and that they have actually learned is forbidden...
Most of my porcelain houses, and my nativity scene--can you find that?
My other porcelain stuffs, with my 3-D puzzle houses that Daddy helped me put together this year (usually he just watches).
Lights, candles, and a corner of my table, ready for food.
In the evening, we opened stockings and some of Munch's gifts. Daddy and I found out again just how perfectly matched we are for each other...both of us sent each other off on a hunt for things not included in our stockings: me to find a new, bigger stocking than the little one my grandma made for me so long ago, and him to find things that didn't fit even in his normal-sized stocking. We had a lot of fun with it.
Our stockings filled--my tiny one had a little paper slip in the toe that started a treasure hunt.
Our stockings emptied, and all items found.
Munch didn't really care for the wrapping paper...she kinda just waited until we took the paper off ourselves, then played with the toys, but she definitely was happy to get those toys! And by this afternoon, when we opened the last of the gifts, she was starting to figure out just how fun ripping paper can be...she certainly had lots of practice!
Munch's Mound of Moreness. And there's actually a couple of other items we forgot to include, plus stuff from a number of family members that she won't get for another month or so. What a spoiled little darling she is! Do firstborns always make out like such bandits?
Christmas morning was spent sharing more love at a Christmas Breakfast that our church held. We were in the fellowship hall, and nearly 200 people showed up...they'd only planned for about 150, as many in the congregation go out of town for holidays. So that was pretty awesome and crazy. We ate a yummy french toast and baked apple breakfast (and sausages for the carnivores), sang carols, and listened to a short sermon about Simeon and how he had waited so patiently for Christ's coming. Munch had her beautiful Christmas dress on and behaved very nicely all through the service, earning her plenty of compliments. We stayed home and didn't do much for the rest of the afternoon--didn't even have a fancy dinner or anything--and it was just right. It was nice to actually be able to take a break, after so many days of running around preparing. Being that Munch is already almost too big around for the 2T Christmas dress I bought her, I made sure to get some photos of her in it...Here's one of the best.
She refused to let go of my old cell phone that I've given her as a toy...oh well. :)
Merry Christmas from all of us!












No comments:
Post a Comment