Monday, April 20, 2015

A Lovey for Mini

A couple weeks back, I finally decided it was time for a Lovey.  Past time, in fact.  The Mini has consistently not slept well despite my efforts to sleep train, and since she was nearly 6 months at the time and already rolling and such, a lovey was potentially a very good way to solve this.  She hadn't latched onto anything else at home yet other than (maybe) a little soft lamb rattle (the one in her Easter picture)...But even that one was sporadic at best.

My mind instantly went to the 100-Acre Woods.  Since the Munch loves Tigger so much, I'd had it in my mind for quite a long while to get one of those little guys for the Mini as well.  Roo was my first choice--he's small like she is, and bouncy like Tigger--but he's almost impossible to find, and I didn't want to order online...I wanted the Mini to have a bit of a say in it, just like the Munch had seen and instantly latched onto Tigger and thus had HER say.  Can't be much of a Lovey if the kid doesn't love it, after all!

So I went online to find the Disney stores that I could drive to, found the nearest one, popped the kids in the car, and up we went...Only to find that the store was actually closed permanently.  Not so cool.  I called Daddy and he told me where the only other one within a reasonable drive was...and it was in the totally opposite direction, of course.  The things I do for my children...

We got to the store, and I went to the back, where I've learned (since the Munch's last birthday) that that particular group of friends is to be found.  I only saw larger stuffed critters there, but I knew they had to have others somewhere nearby, and this was confirmed as soon as a worker came over to me.  She pointed out the little beanie-sized friends.  Perfect.

But no Roo.  I'd kinda expected this, but I'd hoped I might be surprised.  All they had were Tigger (which I couldn't do since he belongs to the Munch), Piglet, and Eeyore.  So I took down a Piglet and an Eeyore, and held them up in front of the Mini, but out of her reach.  She stared at Eeyore.  I talked to her and asked her which one she wanted, and wiggled them both a little as I said their names.  She kept staring at Eeyore.  I wiggled Piglet a little more to see if it was just a matter of her being lazy, not wanting to turn her head...and she did turn to look at Piglet.  And then turned right back and stared at Eeyore again.

Piglet went back on the shelf.

I handed Eeyore to her, and he was instantly christened HERS with a baby-sized chomp to the nose.  We removed the tag at the counter, and by the time we got back to our car, he was already getting soggy.

For the first 3 nights after that, I slept better than I've slept in a long time.  She's since gone back a bit to her old ways, but Eeyore has clearly made a difference.  The Mini will quiet temporarily when she sees him, reach out to grab for him when he's offered, and snuggle sweetly at bedtime (for a few minutes at least).  She's gradually learning how to sooth with him.  Yay for Eeyore!

No comments: