Thursday, April 9, 2015

Pi Day and St. Patrick's Day

Having two celebrations, one on top of the other, makes for some busy times, and the week of Pi Day and St. Paddy's Day was definitely full!

Not being much of a math person, Pi Day hasn't been all that exciting to me in the years past.  A couple of friends who DO like math will send me Pi Day greetings every year, so it's stayed on my radar, and I think it's rather entertaining, but I never did much with it.  But this year, I learned it was a 'special' event that only comes once every 100 years, and have since learned a few more digits of Pi than I used to know as a result.  :)  3.141592653.  I don't plan to learn it beyond that though...

Anyway, we'd planned to have friends over the weekend before for some games, but they'd had things come up, so we all said, ok, let's do it next week.  Then I learned it was 'The' Pi Day.  Well, if we were already having people over, then why not add a little to the celebration?  I mentioned the date of our get-together to my friend, and she got very excited...and brought to our house no less than THREE homemade pies!  :D  I contributed one, as well as some ice cream and whipped topping, and we all made out just a little bit like pigs...Those pies were so very, very yummy.  Afterwards, we played Apples to Apples together for a good couple of hours and had a riotously fun time.  If my stomach hadn't hurt from all the pie I consumed, it certainly hurt from laughing!

Pecan, sweet potato, apple, and blueberry-peach pies, all ready for our tummies.

Our friends, ready for pie and games.

We let the Munch stay up a little late so she could partake in the yummy-ness.  She didn't mind the lost sleep a bit!  ;)

My plate.  Shamelessly good.  :D  I may have to have more Pi Day celebrations now, just so I can have an excuse to enjoy more platefuls like this...

The next day was Sunday...and more specifically, the Sunday before St. Patrick's Day.  Now, I'd been given 2 outfits for the Mini that were St. Paddy's Day-themed...and by golly, I was gonna use them both, one way or another!  :)  As it turned out, since the 17th fell on a day relatively close to Sunday, using both outfits worked out quite easily.  The Mini got to wear the adorable little shamrock dress on Sunday, and the 'My First' onesie the day of.  My only regret is that that dress in particular, though really, really lovely and sweet, can only reasonably be worn for this occasion...But then, this is why I don't BUY things like this--I just very happily receive the hand-me-downs, and will now blithely pass it along for another little girl to wear next year.  ;)

Since the Mini was in green, it made sense for the rest of us to deck ourselves out too, and we snagged a friend to get a family photo of our green while we were at it.  Our friend took probably a couple dozen pictures...and ONE of them actually worked out with all of us looking the right way and smiling.  But one is all it takes, after all.  :)

The true St. Patrick's Day came the following Tuesday of course, and we again dressed up in our green.  Then we headed over to Little A's house for a playdate, and had a great morning. 

I saw a recipe for green velvet cake on facebook, and HAD to try it (and of course also had to play with my piping tools while I was at it!).  The cake itself got a little over-baked and dry, but the frosting was amazing.  It purported itself to be an 'old-fashioned' recipe, and required that I cook milk with some flour, cool that mixture, then add it to other ingredients, after which it needed to be mixed on a relatively high speed for 12 whole minutes!  A bit labor-intensive as far as frostings go, but was the lightest, fluffiest frosting I've ever had, and was relatively light on flavoring too, instead of being overpoweringly sugary like so many are.  A's mama and I enjoyed it very much.  

Finally, that evening, the Mini proved that she, too, like her sister, can display new tricks in honor of St. Paddy's Day...That night, she held her bottle herself for the first time during her bedtime feeding.  She had some trouble getting it lined up properly, but she was bound and determined to do it herself, and kept pushing my hands out of the way! :)

No comments: