Saturday, May 10, 2014

Ballet Recital!!

Hand over another badge of parenting:  We have survived our very first ballet recital for our own kid today, and we've emerged unscathed.  Poor Daddy had a headache, but even he survived and enjoyed himself quite a bit...I caught him smiling and/or laughing more than once...But of course, it's hard NOT to crack a smile when you've got 3, 4, 5, or 6 year-olds up on a stage trying to remember their choreography!

The house opened at 9:30, with the recital starting at 10, but we were supposed to arrive at 8:15 to give the kids all a chance to get into costume, practice, and get familiar with the stage...Obviously, this makes for a very, very, very long wait for parents backstage...Especially when the Munch's teacher was late!  (But she's coming all the way from Indiana, a good hour-long trip at least, so I'll cut her some slack... ;) )  Anywho, this is the craziness that is a recital backstage, in case you ever wanted to know:

Girls, girls, everywhere...and a very small sprinkling of boys...I think there were 3 who performed...

At first we were told we needed to wait for the teacher's arrival before the kids could receive their costumes, but I managed to sweet-talk the house manager and he handed them over to us.  :)  I think the color was about the absolute best color that the Munch could have worn.  It looked SO good on her!
Excited much?  :D

One of the other waiting moms/grandmas offered to take this pic for us.  Daddy was hiding from noise and cameras at the time...understandably.

After the kids practiced (and my bunch 'killed it' they were so good, according to my own ballet teacher who happened to be there), they were brought backstage again, and a bunch of moms started handing out snacks to their kids.  I'd managed to think enough in advance to have a snack on hand for my own kiddo, so we joined the club.  Fruit snacks and goldfish for the win!

The Munch's performance was second out of only 8 performances...This company is smart about their recitals and breaks things up into various age levels, so we were only there for about an hour.  And it was a good hour, at that!  (And because we were the first recital, we got a good parking spot in the tiny lot!)  But, back on the subject of MY kid...Of course she did phenomenally.  :D  Up to and including 1) being concerned about her classmate who instantly broke into tears and 2) wanting 'someone' to hurry up and start the music (which got an excellent laugh from the audience).  You'll also notice...the first couple of times the music says 'stop!', people clap...it's because our teacher made a little mistake.  The pre-K kids weren't supposed to have as long a song as ours got, so everyone kept thinking it was over, and it wasn't yet.  :)  Oh darn, they got extra applause and stage time.  You can see how 'upset' they were about that!!  
Oh, and by the way...the program for this thing had a little notice saying no filming or photography was allowed.  OBVIOUSLY, we parents ALL rebelled against that!  I think it's a disclaimer they put in every program they make, because they also do professional shows, and they just didn't think to remove from something like this.  ;)

Afterwards, we dropped Daddy off at our church (also in the neighborhood), which is having a 'work day' all day today, with people doing various repair and cleaning projects.  He got to smash walls in an old bathroom which will eventually be repurposed into a more private nursing area.  I think his head was feeling better.  :)  Meanwhile, the Munch and I went out to eat at my favorite ice cream parlor a block away:  A little place called George's, which is named for the guy who apparently originally owned the string of buildings that this particular shop is a part of.  It has amazingly good ice cream.  The Munch chose something called the 'Dark Side of the Moon', which was chocolate with something blue and yummy in it.  I chose 'Zoreo', made of Zanzibar chocolate with crushed oreos and some marshmallow creme.  YUM.  And the Munch did a GREAT job eating--no mess or drips at all!!

When we got home, I had the kiddo show off her costume for the camera one more time.  There were a number of parents who had referred to it as a Tinker Bell costume, which tickled her quite a bit.  The theme of the recital was Jungle Safari, so this was as jungle-y as our teacher could find that matched her music.  :)  I love it.

And not to be excluded, the headpiece!  I think we'll be keeping this around for a bit for using at other times.  It's just SO pretty!

So YAY for ballet!  We were worried...dance recitals are notorious for taking forever, but this one was painless, fun, and really made for such a great morning!  I'm already looking forward to the next one... :D

No comments: