The big news (and biggest reason for distraction) is that both Daddy and I have new computers. I was fed up to the ceiling and beyond with not being able to play the ONLY game I actually play currently, Sims 3...Long, confusing story short, Sims 3 is a graphics hog, and my graphics card was a lower-end, older model that worked until I got another expansion last November. Then everything stopped working at once, and there was no going back, no matter what I tried. Not only did it prevent me from playing Sims, but it somehow then refused to work at all for any of the other games we had that I had a mild interest in--even ones that Daddy could play on his (older) computer. We couldn't just get a replacement card because my whole system was outdated and needed replacing...plus, it wasn't fair for me to get a new computer first because mine was the latest purchased between the two of us, and Daddy had some games that his computer was too old for too. But in September the budgeting 'stars' alligned awesomely and unexpectedly, allowing us to buy not one, but two new identical gamer-friendly computers, without taking a hit to savings or anything else. We would not have been able to do that had we not taken that Dave Ramsey FPU class in the spring...and actually done some of what it suggested. YAY, budget win!! And we have now created a new line in our budget to put a little each month toward our next new computers...we're learning and adapting. :)
So now I've been playing with my simmies again, and getting creative with what's called Create-A-World, or CAW for short. With it I can make an entire neighborhood, complete with mountains and rivers and trees and what-have-you, if I so desire. And I DO so desire. :) Although it is an incredibly complicated, lengthy process. Can't imagine what real world creation must have been like. ;)
Anywho, here's a couple pics to get a feel for the fun I've been having, at my blog's expense:
One of many islands, most of which are still very much unfinished--you can see the plain green beyond the water at the top, and most islands are larger than the one pictured. The yellow and blue lines indicate lots where I'll later build houses and parks and such. :) But there's still a LOT of work to be done before I get to that point...for example, just painting this little island to make the ground look like intermingled rock and grass and dirt took a good 3 hours...
Another small island, with a few others beyond, inaccessible except for a ferry boat...which will actually be a lot that I build to *look* like a ferry boat but with a subway entrance hidden inside it. An idea I found on forums, but like many Sim ideas, it may or may not work the way I hope...Here's to experimentation!
I've also been much busier than I planned to be in terms of working...which is both good and bad. I'd intended only to have a part time job when I took on the role of a nanny, but it, combined with the part time babysitting that I've been doing for a friend's kids has suddenly swelled to a full 38 hours a week. Not exactly part time. It takes a lot out of me, of course, but the Munch loves it, and has adapted well, so it's ok. She gets excited regardless of whose house I tell her we'll be going to that day: She LOVES playing with little Superman, her almost twin, on the days I nanny now (the natural toddler fights still happen, but not nearly as frequently), and she equally loves having 'older brothers' to take care of her on the days I watch my friend's 3 and 5 year old boys. By the end of the week, I'm usually bushed from all our adventures, and still have laundry and grocery shopping and and and...But we're making it work. The kids I get to take care of are fabulous. I get to help them with their homework every day, so I'm keeping those teacher skills alive and well...And getting ideas for when I'm ready to seek out my own classroom again, too. ;)
So...Enough with so much words...let's see what we've been up to these past couple months:
First, Little A's birthday, with a much more successful egg-less cake... ;) That's her cousin next to her, who I'll call Big D...We're hoping to start having playdates with both of these guys again soon.
Individual cupcakes for the little ones...Munch REALLY dug in!
The prize present...that ALL the little ones EXCEPT Little A were very excited about, go figure.
Then, Munch's Birthday! The balloons were from a birthday excursion a couple days earlier with her auntie, Daddy's little sister. And if you noticed that Munch is wearing the same outfit she was at Little A's party...it's because we actually celebrated Little A on Munch's birthday, and Munch the day after. Just how the timing worked this year.
We had a much smaller party--Big D became a big brother that same weekend, and he and Little A were the only other invitees, since I wanted to keep the party small this year. So it ended up being even smaller than expected. But still a lovely time spent with dear friends.
Munch also got an easel for her birthday, though it wasn't new--I call it my alley FIND OF THE YEAR.
This didn't happen very long after receiving that easel...The crayons mysteriously disappeared shortly afterward, and have not yet reappeared. Chalk is much easier to clean up. But YAY for washable crayons. At least this job wasn't impossible.
A later birthday present, a Dora the Explorer dollhouse that Daddy's parents found at a garage sale. She LOVES it.
Time with Daddy eating popcorn and watching the Bears game.
Our church's mom's group took a field trip outing to a nearby nature center at the beginning of October. It happened on a day I was caring for Superman (his older siblings are now in school all day), so I got to take him with us. They were fascinated by the bee hive.
They also loved walking around outside, even though it was pretty cold that day. We saw quite a few deer, too!
A couple days later, we got to meet up down south with Little K and her parents! We hung out at a mall play area for a while...
Then we went to Red Robin, and Munch very much enjoyed sucking on our drinks' limes and lemons. :)
We stayed late, going over to Little K's grandparents for some games, so the little ones said goodbye when they went to bed. SO sweet. It was very, very good to see them.
One day after her nap time, Munch decided she wanted to stay in bed and play. She was there for a good 20 minutes, just playing happily in her crib, before she finally decided that DADDY, not mama, had permission to take her out. So he had some fun with that. :)
A book she received on her birthday has the phrase 'take a bow' in it. She thought that was the best thing ever...so she had to practice it.
So...all her little friends have Elmos. Real Elmos, of varying sizes and makes--t-shirts, books, stuffed toys, etc. I guess the Munch was not to be outdone by them (even though she also has a shirt with Elmo). According to the Munch, this little fellow is Elmo. If you're not familiar with Dora the Explorer characters, this is actually a monkey named Boots. But there's no arguing with a 2-year-old. :)
This picture makes my heart melt. She's reading to her baby doll.
Halloween! I was offered a couple of different options for Munch's costume (elephant and bumble bee), but she flatly refused to try on anything other than her ladybug costume from last year. It still fit, so I made a costume for myself to match... $12 bucks and 2 hours of floral arrangements turned me into a rose bush, complete with other ladybugs. Daddy was going to wear a jumpsuit and be our gardener, but at the last minute, he decided to take a pass on costumes this year.
Trick or Treating! We went to a friend's house (same one I babysit for) and wandered around their neighborhood for a bit, then hung out at their place and enjoyed some super yummy chili and other goodies with a bunch of other families. It was a fun night, but it ended early for us...I'd worked my nanny job that day, so it had started super-early too, and we were tired!
So that essentially catches me up, yes? ;) On to November! Hopefully in a bit more timely of a manner. But...um...where has this year gone? I've been a blogger for a year already...how did that happen?


No comments:
Post a Comment