Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Nannyhood and Parks

Well, I've fallen behind again.  I guess these things will come in bursts between other distractions.  Some things I've been working on:  learning how to make (and keep) a budget; learning my new job (I'm a nanny now!); maintaining or picking up other babysitting jobs; sorting and organizing all my pictures that got messed up when I changed to Vista; doing the same for my random (and many) documents; planning for a vacation; trying to keep the house clean, dishes washed, laundry done; spending time with my husband and daughter and friends; doing Beth Moore's Daniel Bible study (which is AWESOME so far); and, well, just living life in my favorite city.  I think that about covers it.  I won't mention how much of my time facebook steals...I probably should work on that...

So, to touch on a couple of those...My nanny job is the biggest and most exciting news, I s'pose.  :) I wrote about it a little back at the end of April: Ooo, here's my first attempt at a link!  The info's on the second paragraph from the bottom of that post.  I finally started the job on June 25th, a week later than anticipated, but I think that actually made things work out better for everyone involved--a little more time with the former nanny, a little more prep time for me, and I didn't have to figure out how to transport 4 small children to the VBS that was happening the week before...my car only fits 3 since they can't sit in the front.  Munch is having a hard time adjusting to 3 kids (and she HATES water and sand, which the other 3 love), but this week was better than last, and next week will be better than this week...and just about the time that she's finally adjusted and is doing fine with all of this activity, we'll be leaving for our trip.  Yep, that was great timing on Daddy's and my parts... *sigh*  Oh well.  So far we've enjoyed several outings to the nearby park, a bike ride to the library, pool time in the back yard, lego building in the basement (they have TONS of legos!!!), and cookie baking for today's holiday.  There's very few things that are better than being able to say that I play all day and get paid for it. :)  I took a few pictures of these kids who are becoming 'mine', and have their mom's blessing to post them--but as I'm sure you'll see, these aren't their real names...

Here's 'Superman,' holding some stolen 'contriband' and trying to decide if it's as good as his own "Dee", a blue hippo blanky that he has carried in his mouth for so long that the corners are permanently brown (despite almost daily washes).  Fortunately he chose against Tigger and grabbed Dee again, and Munch was distracted with other things during this, so she didn't notice the brief theft. ;)  My little Superman is only 13 days older than Munch--almost as twin as twin can get, and OH, the little fights those two have already had!

Munch and Superman were copying each other, getting up, and laying down, so I got 'Sister Bear' (who will be 5 in a month) to lay down with them for a fun picture--and then they copied HER! 

Big grown up 'Brother Bear' (he's 6 1/2) didn't want to take a good picture...he much prefers the goofy ones, which I would have put in as an example, but the one I got is a little too odd to be goofy...

Another thing Munch and I have been doing is the 'Meet Me at My Park' event that moms from my church put together.  Every Thursday, a mom signs up to 'host' at a park of their choosing--usually one in their neighborhood.  The first week (2 Thursdays ago) was hosted by K's mama.  It was a perfect day for the park--not too hot, not too cold, and despite school now being out, there weren't too many kids--maybe they were all at VBS like my nanny trio. 

Munch enjoyed going up a ramp, up the steps, and down a slide, over and over again (not head-first like this picture might suggest though...this is just how she lines herself up).

About 6 or 7 moms showed up, and we were all having a lovely time together:

...And then suddenly it started to rain!  We took cover under the trees and watched it rain for a good 5-10 minutes before, just as suddenly, all was well again...except for the wet slides...

This past Thursday was very, very hot...Perfect weather for the water park that we were scheduled to meet at next.  Except that the Munch is about as anti-water as one can get.  I didn't expect much action from her, but I put her in her suit before we left for the park anyway.  After a few unsuccessful attempts to get her to try the water, I let Munch just snuggle firmly up against me the entire rest of the time, basically as far away from the water (that I was sitting near) as she could get!  I meanwhile enjoyed myself thoroughly in conversation with the other moms.  Then when I left, I discovered something:  I'd actually been to this park nearly 8 years ago!  It was just down the street and around a corner from a certain important wedding that took place back then, and that park was one of the places our photographer took us.  :)  I guess time changes a few things, eh? 

No comments: