Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Little Catch-Up--Father's Day

Totally missed posting about this past Father's Day, but it's certainly worthy of remembering, so I'll do a little catch-up here...

I decided to treat Daddy to dinner that night--ok, ok, I was feeling a bit lazy, and didn't want to cook--And since the car needed some gas, we decided to look for food out in the burbs where gas is cheaper.  We settled on a Thai place that sounded good and drove up there, but when we got to it, we saw that it was a tiny little shop with maybe 2 tables...I would guess that most of their business comes from carry-out...Not quite what we'd had in mind.  So after sitting in the parking lot hemming and hawing for a bit, we decided to just keep driving north to see what was there.  I'm so glad we did, because we happened upon a Chinese place called Dragon Inn--It was a stand-alone building with the whole pagoda image going on, just a real beauty of a building!  The inside was just as lovely; it was small and contained, but it felt spacious at the same time, which is weird, but it was a really nice change from a lot of other Chinese food places we've been in...Usually they're either really huge or really small, and they feel the way they look...

Then the food came.  All I can say is that we will absolutely positively be going back there, and I don't care that it's a bit of a drive from home!  I have not had such yummy Chinese in a long time!!  Considering that we went to Chinatown so soon after that and enjoyed a tasty meal there too, and I STILL say that...yeah, that stuff was YUM.  The Munch chowed down on anything and everything we gave her with remarkable speed.  Usually she...well, I'll say she savors everything...She'll eat a ton, but she eats it soooo painfully slowly!  Not this day!  She had an excellent meal, an excellent time, and the staff even gave her some rubberband-rigged chopsticks to practice with, which of course she loved!  I wish I'd thought to grab a picture of that...Maybe next time.  :)

After we left with happily stuffed bellies, I asked Daddy if there was anything else he wanted to do before we headed home.  Mini golf came to mind, and there just so happens to be a place not too far from us, and only slightly off the trail we would have taken to go home.  So we went, and I remembered to bring out the camera for this part!

It was the Munch's first time, so Daddy went first to show her how it was done...

Then he worked hard to help her get her grip correct on the club...She was rather stand-off-ish at first, as she often is with something new.  She just wants to do it herself, and in her timing!  

But she also wanted to learn how Daddy had hit that ball, so she let him help her soon enough, and ended up with a pretty good form!

Such good form, in fact, that...well, here are all 3 of our balls in that first hole.  One of those got there in a single stroke...But it wasn't mine OR Daddy's!  That's right, on her very first mini golf course, our Munch nailed a hole-in-one all by herself!!  The funniest part was that we didn't even see it happen, since the hole was beyond that cow-colored structure in the first picture.  It wasn't until we walked around that to find our balls for our next turns that we realized what had happened. :)

She had some issues with sending the ball through a building or around water traps, and opted not to play some of the courses as a result, but she had SO much fun on the courses she did play, and got really good at getting the right (or almost right) grip on that club.  She didn't get another hole-in-one...but then, neither did we.  

I, as usual, stunk through the hole thing...I think there was only one, maybe 2 holes that I actually got a lower stroke-count than Daddy, and everything else was, to put it kindly, well above 'par'.  Sigh.  I like mini-golf...I just wish it liked ME a little better!  Regardless, we all did have a very good time.  It was a fun way to enjoy an evening together.  :)

No comments: