"Yes" and then immediately following, "I don't know." This is a pairing that always makes us laugh. We ask her one question: "Do you know what [insert word here] means? And then, pursuant to her answer, we ask a second: "Ok, what does it mean?" After which we tell her the meaning. Every time.
"Mama Mouse", "Daddy Dog", "Han-i-Cat" Also pretty clear, though it begs some explanation. This started at Halloween, when she was a little black cat and I was a big grey mouse (with face paint and everything). Daddy would have completed the animal grouping as a dog, but he chose to be a sea captain instead since he already had the costume pieces from an event earlier in the year. But because he likes dogs, the Munch has taken to referring to him as such regardless...And because I often call her 'Hanica', a joining of her names that I coined within hours of her birth, the last title was just bound to happen. :)
"I'm going to be a ye-yow, skissy aai-pane fo' hah-yo-yeen!" Translation: 'I'm going to be a yellow squishy airplane for Halloween.' This also started shortly after the stated holiday...Big D was an airplane for the second year in a row, and he came over to our house for a couple of hours that morning to play, wearing his costume. The Munch apparently thought it was the best thing ever, because she has not stopped talking about it or her desire to be an airplane ever since. I have no idea where I'm going to find such a costume. D's costume was hardly yellow, and being that she's taller than him and it's already getting small on him...yeah, it isn't going to wait for her...
"Dis is Tiggah's house! Tiggah is seeping in he bed." Translation: 'This is Tigger's house. Tigger is sleeping in his bed.' Except...the 'house' is her play kitchen, which she doesn't use to pretend cook anything. And his 'bed' is the play kitchen's sink. On any given day, I will find her kitchen festooned with baby blankets while the play food goes unnoticed.
"Thop! Thop messing wit my tings!" Translation: 'Stop! Stop messing with my things!' Spoken to the kittens any time she turns her back on, and then turns back to, some tiny little toy of hers that they find fascinating and must have...
"M-A-R-I-A-N-O-S! Dat speows Mawianos!" Translation, after the spelled word: 'That spells Mariano's!' With the Safeway-run Dominicks all shut down now (tear), I've had to find a new grocer. I've gone to the Albertsons-run Jewel a few times, and for the most part have been surprised to find lower prices than I expected...but there's a new grocer in town called Mariano's, run by the slighter more local Roundy's brand, and their prices are hard to beat...at best Jewel can only match them. We've already gotten pretty familiar with our new local Mariano's, and at some point perhaps a couple months after we started going, the Munch suddenly picked out the full name of the store (I only told her where we were going. She found the sign!). She has continued to point it out every time since. Oh, and she figured out *really* quickly that they usually have samples somewhere inside...at least they have a convenient tray built into the carts to hold said sample cups.
"Is it tee-o-cyock yet?" Translation: 'Is it three-o'clock yet?' 3pm is when her nap-time is over...And also when she's first eligible for her afternoon snack. 'nough said. ;)
"I need pie-vacy." Translation: 'I need privacy.' Yep, she knows what that means too, because she'll only say it when she's in the bathroom...with the door wide open... :)
"I'm fyust-tated." Translation: 'I'm frustrated.' Most commonly used when she's actually just tired or lost in thought, and isn't at all frustrated by anything...in fact, she may have just been laughing before she suddenly says this. When she's really frustrated, she belts out a nice big wail. But kudos to her for her first attempts at expressing herself with words.
"Don't waste my time!" No translation necessary... This happened during a playdate today when Baby G took a toy she was playing with, and she went instantly into melt-down. I'm sure we've said it at some point or other and she's caught it, but I have no idea as to the when's and how's and why's. And...I gotta work on the whole 'not laughing when my child says something unexpected' thing. :) Because then she'll only be more 'fyust-tated.'
"I need a spock!" I'm not making this up! But the translation is pretty mundain...She just needs a smock so she can paint...not a Vulcan. For some reason, she just hasn't figured out the s-m sound pairing yet. Here's a soundbite I was lucky enough to snag:
There are of course many more...I just can't think of them at the moment...I have to get better somehow at making a note of them at the time they occur!
No comments:
Post a Comment