Friday, May 31, 2013

B-E-E?

Today I'm wearing a shirt that has a lot of letters on it: 'Tango.  Mambo.  Cha-Cha.  Nibble.'  The 'nibble' is there because the shirt is basically an advertisement for a brand of frozen treats.  I got it at a free showing of Dirty Dancing that the company put on and my moms group went to.  But it's a very comfy shirt, and the Munch loves it.  The print is big, and she loves to point out all the different letters on it, "You have a H!  Yook, dat is C-H-A!  M!"  She'll go through them all, giving the same excited squeak to each letter she names.

This afternoon as we sat across from each other at the table eating lunch, she was apparently enraptured by my shirt, but also seriously considering it, because out of the blue, she piped up with, "M-O spells MOM!"  Now, she's already called Daddy and I 'dad' and 'mom' countless times.  But spelled?  Why should a 2-year-old spell?  How does she even recognize what spelling is?  I blinked a few times.  Then I said, yes, she was very close.  We went on to discuss M-O-M versus M-A-M-A, and she thought that was pretty amazing.

The National Spelling Championships were recently held--I know because we happened to have 4 kids from Illinois competing at that level this particular year, so the news was all agog with it for a couple days.  This kid ingests books like food, and I love that.  I'm starting to wonder though...what would/could she do with a dictionary?  Are spelling competitions in our future?  Regardless, I think I need to find some phonics books pronto, because this kiddo's mind is just bursting to learn.  :D

No comments: