Monday, January 21, 2013

Accidents

Today was my first day back at work after falling miserably ill last Monday.  I'm still not 100%, but at least I no longer have a nose full of icks when I wake in the mornings, for the first time in a long time.  Antibiotics are wonderful for that, at least. :P

It being a holiday today, I had both the Munch and Superman, as usual, along with my sweet Sister Bear to spend some quality time with;  Brother Bear was at his grandparents'.  The morning began very pleasantly, with both my nanny charges allowed to stay in their pjs for as long as they wished.  We played, read books, spent time in the basement playroom, noticed some snow flurries that fell while the sun was shining (I will never get used to that!), and finally set up at the table to do playdough while I prepared lunch.  Sometime during that time, Superman lost track of things...a got nice, solid, heavily-scented deposit in his undies for it.  Lunch was put on hold briefly while I changed him, and he lost his pjs and had to put on daytime clothes.  The Munch kept repeating that he had 'have a ah-si-dent.'

Nap time came, and the Munch refused to sleep.  Sister Bear and I enjoyed the time anyway playing legos while Munch alternately played with her sleepy toys or cried to be let out to go pee-pee...And of course as soon as I let her out, she didn't need to go anymore.  When nap time was over though, she totally forgot about anything of the sort, she was so intent on watching us in the kitchen as we made preparations for dinner:  Gingerbread pancakes, which I knew would take some time, having made them once before, so I'd planned accordingly.  Except I hadn't planned for the Munch to suddenly wet herself (and cry, she was so shocked and distressed that she'd had an 'ah-si-dent' herself). I took Munch to the bathroom to clean her up, sooth her, wash her wet clothes...

And then, before I'd even finished with that, I heard a noise in the kitchen.  The next moment, Sister Bear was calling for me.  And the next moment, she appeared in the doorway to the bathroom, covered from chest to foot in flour.  I laughed.  That helpless kind of 'what is going on today' weak-and-heartfelt-at-the-same-time laugh.  And she *did* look so very funny with all that whiteness all over her pjs, her hands, her feet.  I decided the best way I could get her cleaned up was with a bath.  Upon hearing this, she ran to her room (still covered in flour!) to get out of her clothes;  I called her back too late.  But bathed she got, while I attended to the flour, which was now quite strewn about: a big pile on her chair, the floor under her chair (with several deep footprints), all over the kitchen floor, halfway down the hallway, and midway into her bedroom.  Sister had emptied the entire canister, which had been holding about 2-3 pounds.  A brief series of questions answered all...she had started playing with the things on the table, despite my expressed warning to her not to, and had been holding the various containers upside down...and the flour canister, being sealed by air pressure instead of twisting on like the rest, had not held.  Her lesson was learned--adults usually have a reason when they tell you something, and for goodness sake, don't hold things upside down just to see what happens.  As for me, with all 3 kids in different outfits from what their fathers had seen them in in the morning...well, it made for quite the day.

No comments: