The Munch gave me a bad scare tonight. I was folding laundry in her room, and she was doing what she loves to do--pull something out, carry it around a moment, then drop it and pull out another. She had maybe 2 or 3 pieces on the floor, so nothing I was too concerned about--she's done this every time I've folded when she's awake, after all--but then suddenly she tripped over her high chair cover that was partially blocking the doorway, and fell sprawling to the floor. It's not the first time she's fallen hard and bumped her poor button nose, and of course I immediately got down, gathered her in my arms, and comforted her until her tears were mostly done... Then I tried to help her stand up again, and her left leg (the one that had gotten caught when she tripped) wobbled badly under her, and she sort of fell/knelt down into my lap in fresh tears.
Visions of the emergency room came crashing into my instantly panicked mind as I reached down to her ankle to see if it was swollen, if the leg looked oddly shaped, if something was twisted somehow--I had NO clue why she was crying, or why she couldn't stand, but I knew her leg hurt, and I was already seeing my poor baby in a leg cast. Ack!! But I didn't see or feel anything wrong, and after a bit she'd calmed down again, so I tried to get her standing once more. Still no go. Oh my. So I got an ice pack and a towel on her ankle while I tried to envision how I was going to tell Daddy (he was due to arrive home shortly) that we needed to make a hospital trip RIGHT THEN. My mind was going in about 3 different directions, and maybe more--what to do in the moment, what to say in a few minutes, imagining the eventual, potentially awful doctor bills that would come of this--JUST when we were starting to see the light of day after all the bills we had from her early months--, and, of course, urgent pleas to God that it was not as horrible as I was already envisioning and that my Munch would be walking again just fine in a moment.
And after a few more minutes, she was. She just needed to rest a little longer, and needed the soothing cool of the ice pack. Can we say 'relieved and thankful mama'? Wow. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again for a looooong while.
No comments:
Post a Comment