I already mentioned Sister's and Spaceman's birthdays in a previous post, so I'll start with mine, which was relatively quiet--I keep meaning to get with some of my friends to go out for ice cream, and it just hasn't happened--but I *did* get a cake the day of. :) A cooler part of that day though, was the fact that a cousin of mine randomly showed up in the city that weekend. Apparently he was giving his girlfriend a 'mystery trip', and my town was the destination of choice. I found out when she posted a picture of the airport carpet on facebook and tagged him in it...so I very quickly and excitedly commented, and as schedules worked out, Sunday, my birthday, was the best time for everyone. So we had a very small 'party' in which Daddy grilled a whole bunch of things for our dinner--brussels sprouts, potatoes, green beans, and various meats and my veggie patties. It was the first time he'd grilled so many veggies, so there was a learning curve in terms of how long it took, but the final result was SO good!
The cake followed after. Daddy had bought and boxed it so I wouldn't know what it looked like while I did the other shopping that needed doing. Of course it was all chocolate, and yum, yum, yummy. And just like I did last year, Daddy had to be creative with the candles...so I guess I am now 331...unless you do some math with those numbers. ;)
My cousin and his girlfriend. It's only the second time in my life that I've gotten to see this guy, and the first time meeting her, and it was just lovely. :) So glad the timing worked out like it did!
A couple weeks after that, on Labor Day, I went with a friend and her family to the lakeshore for dinner, and she surprised me with a birthday cupcake! It was super-sweet of her, and being there on the lakeshore was just a lovely way to 'end' our summer. We ate dinner, ate cupcakes, tried (and occasionally succeeded) to skip rocks on the water, watched the sun and clouds interact as the sun went down, and as it got later, enjoyed the dragonflies that came out in droves and put on quite a show for us!
Me, my cupcake, and Munch.
My dear friends. These guys are family.
If you've never seen dragonflies swarm, this is what it looks like. So fun!
Superman's birthday was celebrated pretty quietly too, just with his family, but the Munch and I marked the occasion with song and smiles when we saw him the next day. The Munch later found a hippo puppet when we were out shopping, and insisted on buying it for him. Naturally, he loves it. :)
Next up was Little A's 4th birthday. Has anyone noticed how big the movie Frozen is lately? We still haven't seen it, and I don't really have plans to at the moment. BUT Little A is all over princess stuff, so naturally enough, she had to have a Frozen-themed birthday party! :) We had Frozen plates and napkins, a Frozen cake with Elsa piped on the top, a Frozen princess dress that Little A wore, and a pin the nose on the snowman game that Little A's aunt carefully drew on posterboard. And of course, a tasty grilled dinner with lots of things on the side as well.
The cake! Little A still didn't want to blow the candle out though...It took 3 times of her Mama encouraging her before finally she and Mama blew it out together. :)
It was yummy cake!
Afterward, the girls felt the need to run off some excess energy...hm, where could they have gotten all that energy from??? ;) They had a blast together. We've hardly had any regular playdates over the summer for one reason or another, so they were thrilled to be together again.
But by the end of all the excitement--the cake, the running, the presents--all that energy was just gone. Completely vanished. And we had quite the tantrum when we got home that evening.
But before we left, we had one last little thing to do...A comparison picture!! Here are the 4 or almost 4-year-olds all together on the steps....
And remember this shot from last year? These kids are just too precious.
The very next day, Baby G turned 2. His block happened to have a block party that same day, so his parents joined the two things together: Anyone who wanted to and could was invited to come early to enjoy the block party part of the fun, and a little later in the evening we all had our own private celebration in their backyard. So for the afternoon, there was a bouncy house, various things for the kids to ride around or climb in, and people, people everywhere, and for the evening, a relaxing (as much as one can with lots of young kids about) time of dinner, singing, cake, homemade ice cream, and presents.
Baby G loved having everyone sing to him...But he didn't quite get that it was TO him, so he joined in with the singing, which was absolutely adorable.
Waiting for the gift opening to begin...It was very hard for the kids to stay in their chairs--they wanted to be in the middle of the presents of course!
Baby G--who really isn't so much of a baby anymore--knew just how to open up his gifts, and he had a blast tearing into that paper, discovering airplane after airplane hidden within the wrappings. I think we all know what he likes! :) The evening went by quickly, and when all was said and done, we walked home. I LOVE living so close to people we know!
The Munch's birthday was the next day...but I think I need to make that its own post... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment