Sunday, June 22, 2014

Spring, I Mean Summer, Cleaning

I've spent almost this entire weekend cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.  What?  No, no, I'm not nesting...not yet. I'm just making up for all the procrastinating I've been doing.  Things around the house have been bugging me, and this next week Daddy's parents, aunt, and uncle are all going to be in town.  His parents will be staying with us starting on Wednesday, and his aunt and uncle will come to see our house for the first time on Saturday...So all those things I've been putting off suddenly seem much more important to me than they were before.  Funny how that works!  ;)

I started things off on Friday morning while the Munch was away at VBS.  2 whole hours all to myself to do with as I please, and what do I do?  Retie the cat quilt my mom gave me for my wedding.  Age and loving wear and tear and many extra washings thanks to cat barf (grrr!) had succeeded in pulling apart or untying and then losing in the wash about half of the ties my mom had originally put in.  It was in bad need of another washing, but I knew the batting would be destroyed unless I finally bit the bullet and redid those ties.  So I got started on that...and spent my entire 2 hours working on that, and 2 or 3 more hours the next morning doing the same.  But it looks so very much better, and it's all happy and washed and clean and on our bed again now...and the cats, having first barfed on that one, then on the replacement quilt the VERY NEXT DAY (this was a couple weeks back), are still not allowed in unsupervised.  Choko is less than pleased, but I know he's the guilty one, so he'll just have to deal with it.  His hairballs belong elsewhere.  :P

While I was working on that, I was also doing laundry.  2 loads of towels, a load of sheets, my clothes, and 2 other cat-fur-covered blankets that had been laying around waiting for me, each washed separately...all within the span of those 2 days.  At least a load that just has a blanket in it is easy to fold!  ;)  Once I had THAT pile cleared out, then the bedroom had enough clean space for me to start working on the REAL project...the closet.  It's rather amazing what only 1 year will do to a closet space...But I had a big pile of stuff I'd washed that needed rehanging that I couldn't get into the closet TO hang, as well as maternity stuff that needed to get added to the mix.  There was also a chair blocking half the little room, a box that I'd never unpacked, and sheets to be put away but I couldn't reach their bin, and on it goes.  Lots of things came out, got rehung, went downstairs, got put pack in in a better order, yadda yadda.  We all know how cleaning goes.  The result is a beautiful space Daddy and I can use again, and a much-cleared out bedroom as well.  I unpacked the box, full of knick-knacks and my key-chain collection, figured out places for all of those, and yay.  Happy clean closet and bedroom.  It's been a while!

Today I tackled the next issue that'd been bothering me...I have this old dresser that just matches the height of an old file cabinet, and together they serve as a just-the-right-height stand for my keyboard piano.  This dresser has been used as a catch-all and memento-storer for most of its life with me (almost 20 years?).  But it's in the main living space, and frankly, mementos like all my old paper dolls (I have a Princess Diana paper doll...I just rediscovered that one) really don't belong in a space that can be used for more practical purposes.  And the upper drawer that actually WAS put to good use was all messy and filling up with junk.  So one by one this afternoon, I cleared those drawers out.  Christmas cards from the last 5 years, papers full of Japanese print that I was able to read once upon a time, sermon notes from my teens (yes, really, they've been there that long!).  Some things I said goodbye to, and others I took downstairs to bins and file cabinet.  The result is a set of drawers full (but not stuffed) with useful things like batteries, tape, gift wrapping and bags, blank notepads, and thank you cards.  You can't SEE that anything's been done, but at least *I* know my afternoon wasn't wasted!  ;)  And now I know where it all is!

Next up:  Time to clean the Munch's closet, retire outgrown clothes, and move in the bigger stuff.  And buy more bins to hold those clothes until such time as her sister can use 'em....And then I'll move my cleaning spree down to the basement...Oh my, what HAVE I started?  I haven't even gotten to the day-to-day stuff like the dishes!  No...I'm not nesting.  Really, I'm not....

No comments: