You may recall that when we bought the place, her room was not even a room...merely a portion of the larger back end of the house that encompassed the kitchen and an addition. That wall to make it its own room again was one of the first things that got done, complete with the old-style trim to match the rest of the room, for which I was very grateful. When it came time to paint it though, I had to do 2 coats of primer over the new wall, since the drywall just soaked everything up. So that, plus the 2 coats of paint, and doing it in 2 different colors along all the walls (my child's 'garden-room' vision that I had before she was born finally came true), meant a little more work than just plain painting would have been. But it wouldn't have turned out as nicely. :)
Thankfully, there were very few hiccups working on this room...in fact, really, there was only one. I and a friend had gone over it a few days before and done the prep-work already--removing outlet covers, patching holes, laying plastic on the floor, etc. All I had to do was paint, and paint a lot, trim and all. It was while I was painting that I discovered our little hiccup...The Munch's bedroom window, and, to boot, the windows in our bedroom as well, are not the new vinyl ones that the rest of the house sports...No, they're still the old wooden ones, and they've been painted shut. Painted. Shut. There was NO airflow in her room, and naturally it was full of paint fumes when I was done. *Sigh.* We'd already moved our fans over though, so I set one up in there when I was done on Thursday, and fortunately I was using a low-VOC paint, so it wasn't TOO smelly...
Anywho, after we moved, her room was the first to get set up, as fully as I could. For about 2 weeks, it was the one and only quiet, calming, CLEAN room in the entire house. I bought her curtains, put up all the wall appliques I'd had in her old room, and eventually, around her birthday, we got her closet shelves up. I still need a curtain to hide said shelves, but it's neat and organized, a place where she (and the kittens) love to be, and it makes me smile. A perfect little girl's room.
Hard to believe these pictures are of the same room....
Her Big-Girl bed (which she absolutely LOVES and is SO good with) came to us free from the mom of a family whose little boy I'm now watching once a week, and the vanity (which she also LOVES) was a free loan from a good friend whose daughter has outgrown it, doesn't have room for it, but would still like it back when the Munch has outgrown it.
I still have plans to do a little more decorative painting in here...The Munch specifically stated at various times that she essentially wanted all the colors of the rainbow in there, so I got a bunch of sample containers, and we'll have some fun when we get the chance...I'm thinking rainbow, some flowers, clouds, maybe birds...Who knows. It'll be fun. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment